Closure of Wolgan Road, Wolgan Valley
26 April 2023
By order of Lithgow City Council, Wolgan Road at Wolgan Gap remains closed to all traffic due to a major landslip that took place on 9 November 2022.
Wolgan Valley residents, landholders and businesses only are authorised to use the temporary alternate road, referred to as the Donkey Steps track, to Wolgan Valley.
No other vehicles, including motorbikes and bicycles, are permitted.
This temporary road has high gradients, is narrow in places and is only suitable for light 4WD use.
Authorised vehicles are to use UHF channel 20 and maintain communication with Council’s pilot vehicle at all times. Authorised vehicles are not to enter the temporary road without a Council pilot vehicle. Council’s pilot vehicle times operates from 7am to 9am and 3pm to 6pm weekdays, and 7am to 6pm (closed between 12pm and 1pm) on weekends.
All camping grounds in Wolgan Valley are closed and any enquiries concerning camping in the area will need to be referred to NPWS on 1300 072 757 or their website at https://www.nationalparks.nsw.gov.au/about-npws/contact-us.
Access to Wolgan Valley via Old Coach Road, Wollemi National Park remains closed as per https://www.nationalparks.nsw.gov.au/visit-a-park/parks/wollemi-national-park/local-alerts. Pedestrians and unauthorised vehicles, including motorbikes and bicycles, are not permitted to use Old Coach Road.
For any enquiries on the access to Wolgan Valley and issues that may arise please contact Council using the email address , or directly by telephone on 02 6354 9999.
To report an emergency
- Call Triple Zero (000)
- If you are deaf or have a speech or hearing impairment, call 106
To report a landslip or flood water inundation along Wolgan Road
- Call Lithgow City Council on 6354 9999 or contact emergency services on 000.
To report fallen power lines or damaged electrical infrastructure
- Call Endeavour Energy immediately on 131 003 or contact emergency services on 000.
For emergency help during floods or storms
- Call NSW Emergency Services on 132 500
For emergency information on fires
- Check the NSW Rural Fire Service Fires Near Me page for current incidents
- Listen to local media
- Check social media such as NSW RFS Facebook and NSW RFS Twitter
- Bush Fire Information Line – 1800 679 737
- If you are deaf, hard of hearing or have a speech impairment, contact the NSW Rural Fire Service through the National Relay Service
- TTY users phone 1800 555 677 then ask for 1800 679 737
- Speak and Listen users phone 1800 555 727 then ask for 1800 679 737
- Internet relay users connect to the NRS then ask for 1800 679 737
- To report a fire or emergency (TTY users only), access TTY 106.
For information on road closures
- Check NSW Live Traffic NSW West Traffic Hazards page for current incidents
- Call Lithgow City Council on 6354 9999
- Check social media such as Lithgow City Council Facebook and NSW Live Traffic Twitter
For information on damaged power infrastructure and power outages
- Never approach fallen powerlines. Keep at least eight metres away from them and anything they may be touching such as trees and fences.
- Call Endeavour Energy on 131003
- Check the Endeavour Energy page for current incidents
- Listen to local media
- Check social media such as Endeavour Energy Facebook and Endeavour Energy Twitter